Saturday, November 14, 2009

Dust, American Dust

Personally, as a musician, I have a hard time with making simple things engaging. It's probably not just me, but when I'm writing, I have the tendency to want to make things as grandiose and epic as possible - that's engaging, surely. Surely, I tend to think to myself, that a piece must keep evolving and twisting and turning to be involving. It's entirely desirable, but that's the rut I seem to be in. Thank god for artists like Pete Fosco, who make such a powerful case for simplicity that it makes me want to give up ammenities such as, oh, multiple instruments, overdubbing, et cetera.

I can't tell if it's genius or simply confidence that makes Dust, American Dust so compelling: is Pete Fosco doing wonderful things with guitar, distortion and reverb in an elaborately calculated way, or does he just sit down and instinctively know something great is going to come out? It could certainly be either, really; give it a listen and see if you can tell where it's composition and where it's improvisation.




In any case, what matters here is the sound, maaaan. Hazily floating somewhere between aggressive-harshness and dreamlike-fuzz, Dust, American Dust sort of sounds like a shoegaze guitarist lost in space: all loud guitars and reverb and fuzz and feedback, but with no band for context, it all feels very lost. Very surreal, very sublime, kinda harsh, kinda scary. You know how it is.


Pete Fosco - Dust, American Dust

This thing is sadly out-of-print, and I'd love a copy, so if anyone has one they [for some strange reason] want to sell [or give] to me, get in touch. In the meantime, buy some other releases from Digitalis Industries - tons of cool stuff on there

No comments: