Thursday, July 8, 2010

I don't even

So, Kid Cudi did a song with Best Coast and Rostam Batmanglij (from Vampire Weekend, I'm told) to do a song for Converse. Er, okay then. Check it out. And Wavves did a song for Mountain Dew? What's going on? What's next? I'm don't mean to come off all like "derp, sellouts"; this just doesn't make sense to me. Though it does sort of offer up some fantastic possibilities: can we get the newly-reformed Swans to do a jingle for Doritos ("Blood, Honey and Spicy Cheese (Sha La La La)"? Also, have you ever seen so much bold in your life?

I'll assume you have that Converse ad playing right now and, if I know my readership, you're hopefully as baffled as I am. I wasn't sure how those three artists would collaborate smoothly at all, and it turns out they can't. It's like three entirely unremarkable b-sides stitched together because shoes said so, and the last time I took advice from shoes I had a whole lot of explaining to do. I guess we should be thankful that "All Summer" isn't explicitly about shoes, but rather, er... drinking water? And chilling the fuck out. Well then.

THIS WEEK IN CAPES: Sky Saxon wears a real gassy one in what I understand was a surprisingly popular single in its time. I hate to give credence those cro-magnon dullards who swear on their Led Zeppelin shirt collection that "music today sucks", but if a fuzzed-out barbaric assault like "Pushin' Too Hard" actually charted 44 years ago then maybe something is amiss in popular music.

Does this count as a real blog entry yet? Dagnabbit.

No comments: